The founder of the Kage-ryu
was Yamamoto Hisaya Masakatsu of Akizuki Han.
Akizuki is a part of present
day Amagi-shi in Fukuoka. Next to this is Kasuya-gun, the home
of the first Lord Tachibana. Yamamoto was a retainer of the
clan. The second Lord Tachibana Muneshige moved to the Yanagawa
fief in 1590. He had received this land from Hideyoshi Toyotomi,
as he had fought with him leading Otomo Bungos advanced
guard. Naturally Yamamoto went with him when he moved to his
aquired fief. It stretched from the South of Fukuoka right down
to the border of the Hosokawa fief (Kumamoto Ken).The location
of the old Yanagawa domain was a castle town up until the Meiji
restoration. It is in present day Yanagawa-shi (City). There
the Tachibana line remains unbroken to this day. Although the
castle is long gone the family still preserves many precious
treasures, documents and displays them in rotation in a hall
of history although we are independant the patronage and links to the family adds credibilty to Kageryu as a living tradition.
There are also are many living
traditions associated with the Tachibana clan, Kageryu was
one of these. The Tachibana family also maintain traditions of the Hosokawa
Clan as a present 17th generation second son is married to the
17th generation descendant of this clan.
Found in a Tokyo art
shop is this print shown of Tachibana Muneshige with his Choken (long sword)